Recipe by mell_2
Adapted from Vij's restaurant in Vancouver, I have reduced the amount of oil and halved the recipe. This was a wonderful comforting dish.
Top Review by sage femme
This was an easy recipe with a nice blend of flavors. I added 2 c cooked lentils and 1 c cooked garbanzos for protein, which diluted the spiciness. We added more spices at the end to bump it up - next time I will double all the spices and also add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper for heat. Thanks for this rewarding curry!
- 1 lb eggplant
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 onions, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tomatoes, in 1 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 green onions, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wrap the eggplant and the butternut squash individually in aluminum foil. Place them on a baking tray and bake them for 1 1/2 hours or until they are very soft. The eggplants will become mushy and deflated.
- While the eggplant and butternut squah are cooking, heat oil in large frying pan on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for about 30 seconds. Stir in onions and saute until brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in tomatoes. Add turmeric, fenugreek, coriander, black pepper, jalapeño pepper and salt. Cook this masala for 10 minutes. If the eggplant and squash are still cooking, remove the masala from the heat and set aside.
- Remove eggplant and squash from the oven and cool for 5 to 10 minutes so you can unwrap the aluminum foil.
- Using a pairing knife or potato peeler, peel the squash and discard the skin. Cut the squash in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the squash. Cut in 1/2 inch cubes and place in mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, peel the skin from the eggplant. Discard the skins. Add the eggplants to the mixing bowl.
- Stir the eggplant and squash mixture into the masala. Turn the heat on to medium and cook, covered for 10 minutes. Just before serving, add the green onions and heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve as main dish with Chappatis or as a side dish.