Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from Epicurious online.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry crushed red pepper
- 2 large dungeness crabs, cooked, cleaned, and cracked (about 4 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1⁄2 cup blood orange juice or 1⁄2 cup regular orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated blood orange peel or 1 teaspoon regular orange peel
- Preheat oven to 500°F Melt butter with oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic, shallot, and dried crushed red pepper. Add crabs; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon chopped thyme and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley over crabs. Stir to combine. Place skillet in oven and roast crabs until heated through, stirring once, about 12 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer crabs to platter. Add orange juice and peel to same skillet; boil until sauce is reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Spoon sauce over crabs. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon thyme and 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Yummm!! Have made this twice now, and the second time I used half lemon and half orange juice,then added about 1/2 cup of dry white wine to the crabs before putting them in the oven. Next time I will double the garlic and reduce the red pepper to 1/2 teaspoon. I think this would work well with snow crab or king crab too. Double the sauce...with a crusty sourdough bread you will need it for delicious dipping! Thanks for posting carmen.