Prep 7 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is fabulous - perfectly roasted whole chicken, with roasted garlic to squeeze right onto the chicken (if you prefer), and crusty french bread, with squeezed garlic. Too-die-for! If you so choose, you can actually skip eating the roasted garlic (unless you are a true garlic-lover, and can't resist :-). Simply cooking the chicken with the garlic in the pan adds incredible flavor to the chicken!. I also sometimes throw in some quartered red potatoes to the pan, which creates amazing roasted garlic potatoes. If I do this, I always sprinkle the potatoes with salt, pepper, and rosemary, too, and sprinkle with olive oil, both at the start of the cooking time, and just before serving (toss well). Makes for a fabulous complete meal!
- 1 whole chicken
- 2.46 ml rosemary
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml sage
- 4 head garlic (in skins)
- salt and pepper
- 59.16-88.74 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- crusty French bread
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash and dry chicken, and remove giblets.
- Baste (or rub) whole chicken with olive oil.
- Mix salt and pepper to taste, and all other spices, in small bowl, and then rub over entire chicken (leave a small amount of spice mixture remaining).
- Put leftover spice mixture, and 4 indiviudal garlic cloves, inside cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken in large roasting pan (without rack).
- Take apart remaining garlic bulbs (leaving skins on) and place garlic cloves all around chicken.
- Pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, then remove cover, and bake for 35 to 40 mins, until chicken is browned.
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Carve chicken, while heating up french bread (if you like your bread warmed).
- Serve chicken pieces and french bread, with roasted garlic cloves.
- Squeeze roasted garlic (which will squeeze nicely right out of the skins) onto slices of french bread and/or onto chicken pieces, as you eat it (we love to squeeze garlic right onto our chicken, as well as onto the bread).
Excellent recipe:) this is my go to recipe for roasted chicken, I get 2 meals out of this recipe- roasted chicken on Sunday & make a casserole w/ leftovers on Tuesday - yummy
I have made this a few times now. It is so easy and super tasty!!! I used more broth as my pan is quite large, I also basted the chicken every 10 min for the last 30 min of cooking. The garlic is divine.. I only use about 2 1/2 heads as that's all the two of us grown-ups can eat, but I don't see how the difference would change the yummy flavor of the chicken. The first time I used the leftover chicken carcass, roasted garlic, (squeezed from skin) poultry seasonings, and some s&p to make the most delicious roasted garlic stock... Thank you for this wonderful double duty recipe!
Delish! The chicken is tender and juicy and the roasted garlic adds to it (on both the chicken and bread). You won't be disappointed.