Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A recipe from a church cookbook I inherited from my GreatAunt Alta. The cookbook is dated 1963 as is from the St John's Luthern Church in Summit, NJ. The recipe suggests a combination of both bone-in breasts & legs with thighs attached.
- 6 -8 pieces bone-in chicken breasts, with skin or 6 -8 pieces chicken legs, with skin on
- canola oil, as needed
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 dash dried thyme, to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 bay leaf, crumbled
- Heat oil in a deep 12" size skillet- you will need more or less as needed to brown chicken.
- Place chicken in the hot oil and brown on all sides, then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess grease.
- You may need to do this in batches, depending upon pan size.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 F and have ready a roasting pan greased lightly with oil; place browned chicken pieces in pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked and juices run clear with chicken is pierced, basting occasionally with the pan juices.
Superb !!!! made this tonight with mashed potatoes and I can tell you that dh and I both loved this.