Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 3 -4 large onions
- 1 -2 lb stew meat (beef)
- 1 -2 cup butter
- 2 (18 ounce) cans tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes very well.
- Dry the potato.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into medium slices.
- Peel and cut the onions into thin round slices.
- Put peeled potatoes and onions into a pot filled with water.
- Boil the potatoes and the onions for about 8 minutes.
- Wash the stew meat (beef) well.
- Put the meat into another pot (filled with water).
- Boil the meat for about 7 minutes (skimming off the fat and the blood as it boils).
- Place 2 sticks of butter 8 OZ (4 Oz each) in a very large oven pan or tray.
- If you do not have a very large oven pot use 2 medium oven pans.
- Mix everything together.
- Put meat over the butter.
- Add the boiled potatoes, onions, and 2 cans of tomato paste to the meat.
- Add water from the meat to cover the potatoes.
- If the water is not enough, then, use more water from the boiled potatoes to cover the potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all (about 3 minutes) well to mix the tomato paste.
- Bake in 350 degree oven (without cover) for 1 hour or more, until potatoes become soft.
- Serve over rice.
This was a wonderful dish. I served it with plain white rice, and it was good. I really enjoyed this one, reminded me of my childhood.