Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is the way my Mom made roast.
- 1 blade roast, cut about 4 inches thick and weighing about 5 lbs.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut in 2 inch cubes
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- Sprinkle roast well with salt and pepper.
- Place in a large roasting pan.
- Add water, cover and cook roast for 1 1/2 hours in a 325* oven.
- Uncover and arrange vegetables around roast in pan.
- Recover and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are both fork tender.
This was great! I browned it first and probably shouldn't have because the outside was dry, but that's on me since I didn't leave it alone like the recipe said.
Really Great recipe for learning cook's. I have been cooking for years so I have old habits so teaching my daughters to cook as been tricky. this was so easy for them to follow and the results have been great each time they have made it.Just a twist you could use that we have found chop 2 stalks celery and 1large onion(we pulse it in the food processor until finely chopped).thenbron veggies in pan and place the roast on veggies.cover with water or stock.we covered it tight for 2 hours then dded the potatoes and carrots cover another1 1/2 hoursfor 350 remove when vggies are tender.this can be don in a slow clooker but i think for learning reasons the old fashion way is the better way to learn
Excellent. Easy. Tasty. Thank you. While I browned the roast I cut and got ingredients together and had the afternoon for me! After the final boil when you add all the ingredients, I won't leave on heat for an hour. Perhaps first cooking at 2.5 hrs and then 1/2 hr from the boil. Might not add tomato next time but I did add sweet potato. Nice.