From the August 2009 Costco Connection and directions copy/paste for ease from http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/205812/oven-pork-roast-with-applesauce-baby-potatoes-gravy-and-asparagus/ (I double-checked the directions & corrected) This one does require work the night before, but it isn't difficult, and it is a piece of cake the next day - just stick it in the oven. The 4-6 servings assumes 1/3 of the roast is left over.
- 3 lbs boneless pork top loin roast, trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper (fresh if possible)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning
- 20 baby potatoes (or 4 large thin-skinned potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 tablespoons brown gravy mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (from boiled potatoes)
- 20 asparagus spears
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pinch cinnamon (to taste)
- The night before … Take out equipment.
- 1. Place roast on a plate. Sprinkle with pepper, garlic powder and no-salt seasoning. Cover and let stand in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning …
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°F Transfer roast to a shallow roasting pan. Place in preheated oven, uncovered. Set timer for 20 minutes. When timer rings, don’t open the oven! Reduce heat to 170°F That’s it! Leave the roast in for up to 10 hours.
- When you get home …
- 3. Wash potatoes and place in a large stovetop pot of cold water. Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat to a low boil until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a knife. Drain potato water into a large measuring cup and set aside. Add butter and rosemary to potatoes and swish to coat. Cover to keep warm.
- When the roast is ready to come out (it should have an internal temperature of 160 F) .,.
- 4. Transfer roast to plate. Wrap in foil to rest. Combine gravy mix and water in a cup, then whisk into roasting pan. Slowly whisk in potato water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to simmer. Keep roast wrapped in foil, but drain juices from plate into roasting pan.
- 5. Snap off bottom nodes of asparagus and discard. Rinse spears in colander or steamer basket. Place a small amount of water in the bottom of a stove-top pot and bring to a full boil with the asparagus in the basket above. Cover and set timer for 4 minutes, or microwave in a non-metal pan for the same amount of time.
- When the timer rings for asparagus …
- Drain water. Toss asparagus in pot with butter and salt.
- 6. Combine applesauce and cinnamon in a small serving bowl to serve with pork roast.