Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mom used to make these! Inexpensive and the kids love them.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oven to 350.
- Mix meat, rice, 1/2 cup water, onion, salts, garlic and pepper.
- Shape mixture by rounded tablespoons into balls.
- Place meatballs in ungreased baking dish. (8x8).
- Stir together remaining ingredients. Pour over meatballs.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover, bake 15 minutes more.
I grew up eating these.....loved them and still do! Now, my four children love them. We do a couple of things differently though; I saute slice onions and green peppers (just until soft) and put on top of the porcupines then put the tomato juice mixture on top before baking. Also, I use a large can of tomato juice instead of a can of tomato sauce. V8 also works great. One more thing, I have a REALLY picky eater (ofcourse, he won't eat the green peppers and onions - so I just leave them off when making his plate) and this is a great way to sneak in some veggies. I love to use baby food. Works like a charm! (carrots, squash, whatever you like). I have put baby food in the meatball mixture and the sauce - both have worked out well. These porcupines are great...even for the pickiest of eater. Garlic bread, greens beans, and a fresh salad round out the meal well. :)******Also great to double or even triple!