Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious recipe to use up any leftover turkey from the holidays! You can also make this using deli-sliced turkey. I have use provolone cheese in place of the mozza cheese. You can prepare these melts hours in advance, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or use a small amount of fresh minced garlic)
- black pepper
- 8 slices thick white bread or 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 lb thinly sliced turkey breast
- 8 slices tomatoes (sliced thin)
- 8 slices red onion rings, thinly sliced (can use more)
- 8 -12 slices cooked bacon
- 4 -8 slices mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- softened butter
- In a bowl stir together the avacado with mayonnaise and garlic until well combined; season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide and spread the mixture onto one side of the 4 bread slices.
- Top evenly with turkey slices, 1-2 tomato slices, 1-2 onion slices/rings, 2-3 bacon slices and lastly the mozza cheese slices (1 or 2 slices).
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Carefully spread soft butter onto the outside of each sandwich.
- Place the buttered sandwiches on a baking sheet, then place a second baking sheet on top of the sandwiches.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Slice in half or into fourths.
Did this for DH... he loves turkey, bacon and avocados, but I 'm don't think I've ever served them to him together, until now! He loved it! I used home made white bread (Per Request of DH) and very few onions (Another request) and it was a great blend.