A very nice dish from Madhur Jaffrey that is best served with a simple rice, a salad or vegetable dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the sauce
- 29.58 ml tomato puree (paste)
- 14.79 ml water
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23-2.46 ml chili powder
- 236.59 ml cream
For the curry
- 4 (566.99 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (weighing approx 1 lb 4oz in total)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 59.16 ml vegetable oil
- 2 inch piece cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 6 cloves
- 1 medium onion, cut into fine half-rings
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and cut into fine slices, then into fine strips
- 1-3 hot green chili pepper, cut at a diagonal into fine strips (I use three but I do remove the seeds)
- 2.46 ml black mustard seeds or 2.46 ml yellow mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/.
- 2Put the tomato purée/paste in a bowl and mix with one tablespoon of water.
- 3Add all the remaining sauce ingredients, in the listed order, mixing as you go.
- 4Spread out the chicken breasts and season them generously on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Put three tablespoons of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and place over a high heat.
- 6When hot, add the cinnamon, cracked cardamom pods and cloves.
- 7After ten seconds, add the chicken breasts in a single layer and brown them lightly on both sides.
- 8Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a single layer in an ovenproof dish.
- 9Add the onions, ginger and green chillies to the same frying pan and fry them in the residual oil until they are golden-brown in colour.
- 10Remove with a slotted spoon and spread evenly over the chicken breasts.
- 11Add the remaining one tablespoon of oil to the frying pan, when hot add the mustard seeds.
- 12As soon as they pop - this will be just a few seconds - add the garlic and stir.
- 13When the garlic starts to brown, pour in the sauce.
- 14As soon as the sauce heats up and starts bubbling, pour it over and around the chicken without displacing the onion mixture.
- 15Place the ovenproof dish, uncovered, in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Ki Murghi (Chicken Breasts Baked With Green Chillies)
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.7
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 148.5 mg
- Sodium 451.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 35.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: