Recipe by Pets'R'us
A very nice dish from Madhur Jaffrey that is best served with a simple rice, a salad or vegetable dish.
Top Review by Chef Kate
A really terrific dish--worth making just for the extraordinary aroma that fills your home while it's cooking. But it tastes great too. I only used one hot serrano--and that, combined with the chili powder in the sauce, was plenty of heat for me. Served over an herb rice, it was a fabulous dish--but honest, Pets, I can't imagine using three hot chilis.
For the sauce
- 29.58 ml tomato puree (paste)
- 14.79 ml water
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23-2.46 ml chili powder
- 236.59 ml cream
For the curry
- 4 (566.99 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (weighing approx 1 lb 4oz in total)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 59.16 ml vegetable oil
- 2 inch piece cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 6 cloves
- 1 medium onion, cut into fine half-rings
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and cut into fine slices, then into fine strips
- 1-3 hot green chili pepper, cut at a diagonal into fine strips (I use three but I do remove the seeds)
- 2.46 ml black mustard seeds or 2.46 ml yellow mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/.
- Put the tomato purée/paste in a bowl and mix with one tablespoon of water.
- Add all the remaining sauce ingredients, in the listed order, mixing as you go.
- Spread out the chicken breasts and season them generously on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put three tablespoons of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and place over a high heat.
- When hot, add the cinnamon, cracked cardamom pods and cloves.
- After ten seconds, add the chicken breasts in a single layer and brown them lightly on both sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a single layer in an ovenproof dish.
- Add the onions, ginger and green chillies to the same frying pan and fry them in the residual oil until they are golden-brown in colour.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and spread evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Add the remaining one tablespoon of oil to the frying pan, when hot add the mustard seeds.
- As soon as they pop - this will be just a few seconds - add the garlic and stir.
- When the garlic starts to brown, pour in the sauce.
- As soon as the sauce heats up and starts bubbling, pour it over and around the chicken without displacing the onion mixture.
- Place the ovenproof dish, uncovered, in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.