Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 3 oz. Per serving: 234 calories, 11.5 g fat, 30.5 g protein, 0 g carb, 0 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol. A home oven version of the classic slow-roasted pig served at luaus.
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Rub pork with liquid smoke.
- Wrap pork tighly in foil and place on a jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 5 hours.
- Cool slightly; remove pork from bone and discard bone.
- Shred meat with 2 forks, tossing well; combine shredded pork and salt (to taste) in a large bowl.
- It is typical to stir any reserved meat juice into the shredded pork; in order to do this and skim the fat, place a heavy-duty plastic bag into a measuring cup; pour meat juices into the bag; let stand 10 minutes or until fat rises to the top; snip a small portion of one bottom corner of the bag and pour the juices over the shredded meat, stopping before you reach the fat layer.
My roast was tender and moist but lacking in flavor. Needs more seasoning.