Recipe by Wenstar
When you want a taste of Hawaii but can't dig an Imu in your yard and there are no KTA's or Star markets around.
Top Review by JaxFLChef
200 degrees for 8 hours is not hot enough or long enough. Maybe if it was for 14 hours but I did it at 200 degrees for 10 hours and it still was nowhere near done. Also, way more liquid smoke; I would say 4 ounces of liquid smoke per 5 - 6 pounds. Also, I wouldn't do the water until the pork is shredded because it dilutes the liquid smoke. Once you shred the pork add a few cups of very hot water to moisten up the pork a bit. Beside that, the recipe is close.
- 1 large boston butt (about 8 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup rock salt or 1⁄4 cup sea salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place Boston Butt in a roasting pan.
- Combine salt and Liquid Smoke and spread all over roast.
- Pour the water in the pan.
- Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil and roast in a 200 degree oven for 8 hours or over night.
- Shred meat and serve.
- Place roast in crockpot.
- Mix salt and Liquid Smoke and spread over roast.
- Pour in water and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Shredd meat and enjoy.
- Note: Left overs freeze well and are great to have on hand when you want to make kahlua pig and cabbage or potatoes.