Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Mark Bittman; don’t have a grill or it’s too cold outside—try this oven method.
Top Review by Heather #6
Makes a great, medium rare steak. Perfectly tender and juicy. I sprinkled the steaks with Montreal Steak seasoning just before cooking and ended up putting them on a cookie sheet. Would have been better if the smoke alarm hadn't gone off right after I flipped them. I guess I know to open the doors next time! :)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to its maximum, 500° or more, for at least 20 minutes; if it is equipped with a pizza stone, so much the better.
- About 10 minutes before you are ready to eat, put a cast-iron or other ovenproof heavy skillet large enough to hold the steaks over high heat.
- Wait 2-3 minutes, until the pan is beginning to smoke.
- Add the steaks and let them sit on top of the stove as long as you can before the smoke is intolerable—probably no more than 1 minute.
- Immediately transfer the pan to the oven; roast the steaks for about 4 minutes, or until nicely browned on the bottom, then turn and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes, until done.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.