America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle position; heat oven to 475°.
- 2Brush each side of the bread slices lightly with the melted butter and spread them out in a single layer over two baking sheets.
- 3Toast the bread in the oven to a light golden brown, 10-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom halfway through the baking time.
- 4Assemble eight sandwiches, each filled with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, making sure that the more toasted-looking sides of the bread are facing outward.
- 5Lay the sandwiches on a baking sheet and press lightly on each of them.
- 6Cover the baking sheet tightly with foil and bake until the cheese is thoroughly melted, 5-10 minutes.
- 7Make ahead--the bread can be toasted, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap, and kept at room temperature for up to 24 hours in advance.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Grilled Cheese for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.3
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 90.0 mg
- Sodium 694.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 18.0 g