Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 16 slices high-quality white bread
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb mild cheddar cheese, shredded (we like sharp cheddar)
- Position oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle position; heat oven to 475°.
- Brush each side of the bread slices lightly with the melted butter and spread them out in a single layer over two baking sheets.
- Toast the bread in the oven to a light golden brown, 10-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom halfway through the baking time.
- Assemble eight sandwiches, each filled with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, making sure that the more toasted-looking sides of the bread are facing outward.
- Lay the sandwiches on a baking sheet and press lightly on each of them.
- Cover the baking sheet tightly with foil and bake until the cheese is thoroughly melted, 5-10 minutes.
- Make ahead--the bread can be toasted, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap, and kept at room temperature for up to 24 hours in advance.