Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Can be made with lamb or beef.
- 3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 lb small boiling onions, peeled
- 1 lb medium new potato, unpeeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Season meat as desired with salt and pepper.
- In a big Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add meat; stir to coat but do not brown.
- Place vegetables (onions, potatoes, and carrots) on top.
- In a bowl mix together the garlic and next 7 ingredients; pour over stew.
- Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in raisins and bake uncovered, 10 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick; discard.
- Spoon stew into large warmed bowls; sprinkle with feta cheese.