Recipe by looneytunesfan
A little work but you'll be rewarded with every bite you take of this succulent chicken, highly seasoned and glazed with rum and coffee.
Top Review by Meryl
This was fantastic! I cut down the sugar and salt, and added extra virgin olive oil instead of butter to the glaze. (I added the oil after boiling the other ingredients). I served the chicken with some lime wedges, and it was even better with the extra lime juice. I was looking for something different from the same old boring chicken recipes I've been making, and this was it! Thanks so much!!!
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- COMBINE sugar, ketchup, rum, lime juice, butter, ginger, coffee granules and allspice in small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; stir until coffee and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat; set aside.
- TRIM chicken of any visible fat. With sharp knife, make two diagonal slits about 1/2-inch deep on the top side of each breast.
- COMBINE garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Rub mixture all over chicken. Arrange slit side up on rack in shallow baking pan. Brush chicken with glaze; reserve remaining glaze. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- PREHEAT broiler.
- BROIL chicken for 5 minutes. Turn chicken over; coat with reserved glaze. Broil for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Turn chicken over again; coat with glaze. Broil for an additional 2 minutes or until tops are sizzling and brown.