Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
In this recipe, prepared in the oven, the egg whites puff up as nicely as a souffle.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 ounces chopped broccoli (fresh, or frozen and defrosted, or use any veggie of choice)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 8 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten (or 1/4 cup egg sub)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- in a large oven-proof nonstick skillet, cook potatoes in oil over medium heat until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, mushrooms and onion; cook and stir for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and whole eggs with Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, oregano and black pepper.
- Gently pour egg mixture over mixture in skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 10 minutes or until eggs are almost set on top. (Watch closely).
- Turn on broiler and finish cooking for 3 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Enjoyed the flavours, thanks for sharing.
This was good, but it lacked a certain something for me. DH and I both added quite a bit of salt, and agreed that it could be improved by the addition of a tomato-ish sauce since the potatoes are slightly drying. It also took several more minutes to get mine to cook through, though this could be because my skillet is fairly deep...
Liked the recipe but do to my lack of experience in the culinary arts (wrong skillet size/unevenly cooked potato and broccoli) I suppose this didn't turn out the way it's supposed to!! My brocolli was still hard after 16 minutes in the oven, but I stopped it there because the egg was starting to burn. I did forget to preheat, duh!!! If you like crunchy broccoli do what i did