Recipe by spoilme
Soaking the potatoes in a salt-sugar solution draws out some of the water, so they brown rather than steam in the oven. 3 Points.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I didn't peel the potatoes when I made this recipe, & I actually made one & a half batches for 4 of us, wanting to be sure I had enough for everyone! Served along with a caramelized onion dip that I made, these were a big hit, but these fries are absolutely wonderful all on their own, too! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Had a couple of friends over to help with some work on the outside of our mobile home & knew they enjoyed fries & a dip, so I used them as testers for this recipe! Passed with flying colors, too ~ We all thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 1 1⁄4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, 1/4 tsp salt, and sugar with cold water to cover. Soak 15 minutes; drain and blot dry.
- In another large bowl, toss potatoes with oil and paprika. Place in single layer on baking sheet. Bake, turning potatoes as they brown, until cooked through and crisp, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Serve immediately.