Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Soaking the potatoes in a salt-sugar solution draws out some of the water, so they brown rather than steam in the oven. 3 Points.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, 1/4 tsp salt, and sugar with cold water to cover. Soak 15 minutes; drain and blot dry.
- In another large bowl, toss potatoes with oil and paprika. Place in single layer on baking sheet. Bake, turning potatoes as they brown, until cooked through and crisp, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Serve immediately.
I didn't peel the potatoes when I made this recipe, & I actually made one & a half batches for 4 of us, wanting to be sure I had enough for everyone! Served along with a caramelized onion dip that I made, these were a big hit, but these fries are absolutely wonderful all on their own, too! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Had a couple of friends over to help with some work on the outside of our mobile home & knew they enjoyed fries & a dip, so I used them as testers for this recipe! Passed with flying colors, too ~ We all thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
Lovely crisp oven chips! Out of paprika so sprinkled with a little dried basil and garlic salt. Simple, easy and a nice treat, thanks for posting, I will be making these again!
Very tasty fries...we loved the salty paprika flavor....I did notice that by turning the fries after 10 minutes that some of them were very soft and fell apart...so I would suggest not turning them for at least 15 minutes...but after the 45 minute cooking time they were nice and crispy...I also left the skins on...we like the extra texture that the skins bring the fries...excellent Weight Watcher recipe...thanks for posting it...made for Spring 2014 PAC