I've tried several recipe but was never able to obtain a crispy exterior, so started experimenting! I've found that yellow sweet potatoes work better than yams. Don't crowd them, otherwise you'll have soggy fries! Time indicated does not include soak time for the potatoes. The roasting time may vary with thickness of potatoes!
- At least 30 minutes prior place sliced potatoes in bowl and cover with water.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheet(s) with aluminum foil (makes clean-up a snap). Use two cookie sheets if necessary . . . for crisp potatoes they need lots of space, so don't crowd!
- Spray foil with non-stick spray.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Return potatoes to (dry) bowl and drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with paprika, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar; toss to coat.
- Place on prepared cookie sheets; again, DO NOT CROWD, use two sheets if necessary!
- Roast, turning the potatoes every 10 minutes, until potatoes are browned and tender, 15-20 minutes. If using two cookie sheets, alternate the pans after 10 minutes!
We did have to use yams, so they didn't come out crispy, but they were still great! I think next time, instead of cinnamon and sugar, we might try a savory flavor (garlic?). The kids liked them and they were like potato chips, in that I couldn't stop eating them. I will also cut them thinner next time. The ones that ended up a little thicker weren't quite done at 20 minutes.
Revised! We made these recently with yams because we couldn't find sweet potatoes. Today we found them and tried again, with much more satisfying results. Yams are sweeter but didn't bake to the nice fragile crispness. The flavoring was terrific both ways, and the notes of cayenne and smoky paprika gave them a bit of a zip that hangs around after the fries are gone. Well worth the effort for the adventure alone. Made by LL's DH for ZWT5.
We enjoyed the spice combination in this. It gave the potatoes a nice flavor, and they were crisp enough to satisfy.I could see making these again. Made for ZWT5.