1/8 Photos of Oven Fried Southern Style Cinnamon Honey Chicken
While watching FoodTV, I saw a piece about Amy Ruth's restaurant in New York where the owner made fried chicken dipped in a honey cinnamon mixture. It looked so good I began searching on the web for a recipe which approximated it... and after much browsing of webpages I put together a recipe that I thought might taste something like it. I don't fry my chicken, so here's a baked version, tweaked to my own tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken, jointed in 8 pieces (make sure to use good quality chicken!)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon good quality cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup dried crushed breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Spray a large roasting pan lightly with cooking spray.
- 3Combine the flour with the salt, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, and a pinch nutmeg.
- 4Coat the chicken pieces well with the flour mixture (you can use chicken with or without skin on - it's up to you).
- 5Beat together the egg and milk; dredge the flour-coated chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumbs.
- 6Arrange pieces skin side up (if using pieces with skin) in the sprayed roasting pan, making sure that the pieces are not touching each other (if possible) to ensure they bake crispy; spray chicken pieces with oil spray or sprinkle with 2 tablespoons oil and place the chicken in the oven to bake.
- 7While the chicken is baking, in a saucepan over medium low heat combine the butter, honey, pinches of cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- 8After the chicken has baked for 25 minutes, pour the butter and honey mixture generously over the pieces.
- 9Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the juices run clear and the chicken is crisp and brown.
- 10Note: if you'd like to add a bit of kick to the recipe, you can try a pinch or two of cayenne (to taste) in the honey sauce, or perhaps some red pepper flakes!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Southern Style Cinnamon Honey Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1080.3
- Calories from Fat 583
- Total Fat 64.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 333.2 mg
- Sodium 1591.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 68.2 g