Food & Wine. July 2004. Serve with sauvignon blanc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mixed herbs, such as thyme, basil and oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the water and bring to a boil.
- 3Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the water has been completely absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- 4Scrape the rice into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- 5Stir the Gruyère, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and all of the chopped herbs into the rice.
- 6Season the rice with salt and generously season with coarsely cracked pepper.
- 7In a medium stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form.
- 8Stir one-fourth of the whites into the rice to loosen the mixture, then stir in the remaining whites. Roll the rice into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- 9In a shallow bowl, toss the panko with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Dredge the rice balls in the panko crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- 10Bake the rice balls in the upper third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter and serve.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Rice Balls With Gruyere
Serving Size: 1 (965 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 54.8
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 4.4 mg
- Sodium 51.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: