Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
If it is not summer and we're not grilling, this is my favorite way to make chicken in the house. I love deep-fried chicken, but I dislike making it. This is the next best way to enjoy the taste without the mess and guilt. I hope you enjoy it. *Note: Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- Thoroughly mix flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a shallow dish, set aside. Place wire rack over a sheet pan, set aside.
- Rinse chicken and gently pat dry.
- Coat each chicken piece thoroughly in the flour mixture and place on the wire rack/sheet pan, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 425*F. Put butter into 9x13x2 baking dish (or a larger 18x12x2 roaster pan, depending on the size of your chicken portions) and place dish in the oven just until the butter melts.
- Once the butter has melted, tilt the baking dish around to evenly distribute the butter. Place coated chicken pieces SKIN SIDE DOWN directly into the hot, buttered baking dish (do not over-crowd).
- Bake, un-covered, for 35 minutes UNDISTURBED (it is not burning). Then flip chicken over and bake an additional 15 minutes. Check to be sure no pink remains and juices run clear.
- Remove chicken pieces to a platter and tent with foil for 5 minutes before serving.
Simplicity triumphs! No fancy herb mixture, no thick crumb crust, just well-cooked chicken with a thin crisp skin and a fantastic red-brown glow. It just tastes great! I almost felt guilty for not working more for dinner, but the guilt disappeared when we ate this succulent chicken. For the record, I ate every bit of the skin, wouldn't miss it for the world! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
This great recipe is similar to one I already use except this one uses less butter. A great addition to my chicken recipe rotation! Made for Football Pool 2013.
I coated my chicken by tossing in a ziplock bag, and this worked perfectly. The chicken was very moist and tender, while the crust was nice and crisp. Delicious! Thanks for sharing. Made for your win in Football Tag!