Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Why would you want to eat the unhealthy deep fried version when these are just as good? (WeightWatchers and vegan friendly)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 3 slices of well-toasted whole wheat bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 large onions, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and separated into rings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F; adjust the oven racks so they are spaced evenly.
- Spray 2 nonstick baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- In a food processor, mince the pieces of toast, and then in a blender, blend them until the crumbs are really fine like the ones you find in the store.
- Dump them into a big bowl with the flour.
- In the blender, blend tofu, soy milk, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Coat each onion ring on both sides with the tofu mixture, shaking off the excess; then coat lightly with the bread crumb mixture. Use batches of the bread crumbs in a small Tupperware so they don't get all gooey.
- Arrange the rings on the baking sheet, and spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes, turning rings once in the middle and swapping rack positions if you're using two cookies sheets.