Recipe by PaulaG
A healthier version of an old southern favorite. This recipe is comes from Souther but Lite cookbook.
Top Review by SusieQusie
A *huge* success at my dinner table! DH loves fried okra and I hate to make it. This made us both happy. Using frozen okra, already sliced, I dumped the whole bag in a colander and rinsed it to separate the pieces. While it was still frozen, I tossed it in the cornmeal, put it on the baking sheet and spritzed it with cooking spray. To avoid drying it out, I upped the temp to 425F and decreased the bake time to 20 minutes. That worked great - it was crispy and browned but still moist inside. I think it could have used a little more seasoning in the coating, garlic powder perhaps, but we were *very* happy with it as it was. I am sure this will become a regular side dish here! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine corn meal, salt and pepper.
- Wash okra; drain.
- Trim ends and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Dredge in corn meal mixture to coat well.
- Okra should be moist in order for corn meal to adhere.
- If necessary, rinse okra again in water before dredging.
- Spread okra in a single layer in prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.