Leslie in Texas's Note:
My husband loves fried okra, so he was pleased with this low-fat version.I sometimes substitute corn meal for the bread crumbs. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pot 3/4 full of boiling,salted water,parboil okra until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- 2Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 3In a large bowl, beat together egg, 1 Tablespoon of water, and pepper sauce. Add okra to bowl.
- 4In a plastic food storage bag, combine bread crumbs,pepper, and salt.
- 5Using a slotted spoon,remove okra from egg mixture, allowing excess egg mixture to drip back into bowl.
- 6Add okra to crumb mixture in bag and rotate bag to coat okra evenly.
- 7On a nonstick baking sheet or large, shallow pan, spread okra in a single layer.
- 8Spray okra with nonstick cooking spray.
- 9Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Okra
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.3
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 353.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g