Recipe by Leslie in Texas
My husband loves fried okra, so he was pleased with this low-fat version.I sometimes substitute corn meal for the bread crumbs. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
Top Review by Chef Cejae
Changes I made: parboiled okra for 3 minutes, used panko bread crumbs...when putting okra in pan added some of panko that did not stick (makes great crumbles!) and cooked at 450 for about 17 min (could be my toaster oven). MUCH better than fried!
- 1 lb fresh okra, stem ends trimmed and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot 3/4 full of boiling,salted water,parboil okra until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg, 1 Tablespoon of water, and pepper sauce. Add okra to bowl.
- In a plastic food storage bag, combine bread crumbs,pepper, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon,remove okra from egg mixture, allowing excess egg mixture to drip back into bowl.
- Add okra to crumb mixture in bag and rotate bag to coat okra evenly.
- On a nonstick baking sheet or large, shallow pan, spread okra in a single layer.
- Spray okra with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 12 minutes.