Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My husband loves fried okra, so he was pleased with this low-fat version.I sometimes substitute corn meal for the bread crumbs. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
- In a large pot 3/4 full of boiling,salted water,parboil okra until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg, 1 Tablespoon of water, and pepper sauce. Add okra to bowl.
- In a plastic food storage bag, combine bread crumbs,pepper, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon,remove okra from egg mixture, allowing excess egg mixture to drip back into bowl.
- Add okra to crumb mixture in bag and rotate bag to coat okra evenly.
- On a nonstick baking sheet or large, shallow pan, spread okra in a single layer.
- Spray okra with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 12 minutes.