1/2 Photos of Oven Fried Lentil Balls
1 hr 25 mins
These tasty "meatless meatballs" are great as an appetizer or main dish! From the Meatball Cookbook Bible....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse and drain the lentils. Chop the onion and the garlic.
- 2In a dry skillet, toast the pine nuts for 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- 3Put the lentils in a large saucepan, cover with the water, and add the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- 4Whisk the egg, tomato juice, and tomato paste in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and the drained lentils and mix well.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the coriander and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the onion mixture to the lentil mixture and stir well.
- 6Puree 1/2 cup of the toasted pine nuts and 1 cup of the lentil mixture in a food processor until smooth. Scrape the puree back into the remaining lentil mixture and add the remaining pine nuts and the black pepper. Mix well and season with salt if necessary. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 7Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- 8Put the remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Form spoonfuls of the lentil mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in the breadcrumbs. Arrange the balls on the prepared cookie sheet. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
- 9Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Lentil Balls
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.1
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 860.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 18.4 g