Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
We also call this fried succotash, which is a souther table staple in the summer. I got this recipe from my a neighbor who grows his own tomatoes and okra and he said his wife just came up with this one day when she got tired of eating plain okra. The ingredients can be modified to accommodate your tomatoes and okra.
- 1 cup green tomato, chopped small
- 1 cup okra, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 2 -3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of a caste iron skillet,enough to cover the bottom, may need more depending on the size of your skillet. Place the skillet in the oven while it is preheating.
- Mix the first five ingredients together and add to the skillet once the oven has preheated.
- Sprinkle with a little more oil and stir to coat all pieces.
- Place skillet back in the hot oven.
- Allow to cook 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding oil as needed.
- When the okra and tomatoes have reached your desired crispness remove from the oven and place in serving dish. Skillet will stay hot and continue to cook if you do not remove food.