Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great way to use those extra tomatoes. Can also be done with ripe tomatoes.
- 1 lb green tomato
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4" slices.
- In small bowl combine egg and milk.
- In another small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray.
- Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off.
- Coat both sides of tomatoes with cornmeal mixture.
- Place in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Turn and bake for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
These were AWESOME!! Loved the poppy seeds...they gave them a "pop!" Used water in place of the milk and Butter flavored cooking spray on the tomatoes to crisp them up a little. 5 mins each side in my Nuwave Oven. Next time I'll add a little more salt. Very good....thank you for sharing!
These taste pretty good when compared to regular fried green tomatoes. The coating does get crispy, but I did take a little extra time to cook them and needed to brush them with a little oil to get them to gain some color. Overall, a nice healthy recipe that I would make again. Thanks for posting!