Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "Green Hills Garden Club Cooks...Favorite Recipes from Vicksburg, MS" (Sally Kirst). An excellent "southern" tradition! Delicious!
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
These are quite good. Not quite the same as their pan-fried cousins, but a nice veggie treat nonetheless. I think I will increase the black pepper a bit next time, and might add a bit of buttermilk to the egg as well. Make sure to serve these babies hot for the best results! Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 medium green tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cormeal, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Combine egg and water.
- Beat well.
- Dip tomatoes in egg mixture, then in cornmeal mixture, coating well.
- Lightly spray a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer in pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.