Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from "Green Hills Garden Club Cooks...Favorite Recipes from Vicksburg, MS" (Sally Kirst). An excellent "southern" tradition! Delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 medium green tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- cooking spray
- Combine cormeal, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Combine egg and water.
- Beat well.
- Dip tomatoes in egg mixture, then in cornmeal mixture, coating well.
- Lightly spray a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer in pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
These are quite good. Not quite the same as their pan-fried cousins, but a nice veggie treat nonetheless. I think I will increase the black pepper a bit next time, and might add a bit of buttermilk to the egg as well. Make sure to serve these babies hot for the best results! Thanks for posting.
A great way to use green tomatoes that still falls in the "weight-watchers-friendly" category. i've never had real fried green tomatoes, but these tasted just fine.