Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe came from BHG.com. It gives the fish a nice crunchy topping without being dried out. I also like to spritz lemon juice across the fillets the instant they come out of the oven.
- 4 (4 ounce) fish fillets (fresh or frozen, cod or even flounder works well)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 beaten egg white
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Let fish thaw if it's frozen.
- After thawing, rinse and pat dry.
- Spray baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix together bread crumbs, cornmeal and lemon pepper.
- Add the oil, tossing mixture to combine.
- Dip ONE side of fish fillet into the beaten egg white, then dredge through the bread crumb mixture (just the one side).
- Place fish, coating side up, on the baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered for 6 to 8 minutes for each 1/2 inch thickness of fish, or until it flakes easily with a fork.
This is a great recipe. It was very easy and tasted very good. The fish turned out light brown with a nice crisp to it. Much better then frying the fish. I will be making this again and again.
Here's a variation: instead of lemon pepper, use celery salt and just add a dash of ground red pepper.- so glad you posted this. Thanks.
I made it on the stove top as it was so hot here.We really enjoyed it and will make it again.