1/6 Photos of Oven Fried Eggplant or and Zucchini Parmesan
I'm posting this recipe for eggplant and or zucchini. No need to peel the zucchini. I've also done both in one recipe. You can also just oven bake the eggplant and dip into sauce for appetizers. My husband and I just love it! Especially when the eggplant and zucchini is home grown! No buttermilk no problem just place 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 cup glass then top with milk let sit while gathering the rest of the ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 slices
- flour, for dusting
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk (buttermilk)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, seasoned with spices
- salt and pepper
- 1SAUCE: Coat bottom of a large pot with olive oil.
- 2Add onions, celery, and garlic and saute until tender about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in canned tomatoes, paste, spices and wine. (optional)Taste of sauce is bitter you can add 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 4Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 5Stir and stir and stir.
- 6EGGPLANT: In a gallon size zip-lock bag place flour, salt and pepper seal give a shake then add eggplant to coat.
- 7Mix eggs and buttermilk in bowl.
- 8Dip slices of dusted eggplant into egg mixture.
- 9In the same bag with the left over flour add seasoned breadcrumbs to it.
- 10Then dip eggplant into bag of seasoned breadcrumbs to coat them.
- 11Place breaded eggplant onto oil sprayed cookie sheets and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- 12Cheese mixture: mix all together.
- 13Assemble casserole: Place some sauce on bottom of pan, follow with eggplant, then cheese, then sauce layering till all is used.
- 14Top with extra grated cheese.
- 15Bake in oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 16Serve with crisp Italian Bread and green salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Eggplant or and Zucchini Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.9
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 189.3 mg
- Sodium 833.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 28.7 g