I can't remember where I found this recipe, but it is the only way my family likes eggplant...even the grandkids like it, and that's a miracle! I suggest adding different types of cheeses to the breading if you like because the cheese gives a lot of flavor and crispiness.Shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese also works well. I also usually double the recipe for a large eggplant.The amount of garlic is also a personal preference.
- Preheat oven to very hot (450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Spray a shallow baking pan with cooking spray or wipe lightly with cooking oil.
- Blend mayonnaise, water, lemon juice, and garlic in a shallow dish.
- Combine cheese and breadcrumbs in another dish.
- Trim and discard ends of eggplant.
- Cut the eggplant horizontally into 3/4 inch slices.
- Dip each slice into the mayo mixture to coat both sides.
- Press both sides into the crumb mixture, pressing to adhere the breading.
- Arrange each crumb coated slice on the baking sheet.
- Place the pan on the bottom shelf of the oven; bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Turn slices with a spatula and bake another 5 minutes (or more if needed) until the coating is crisp and the eggplant slices are tender.