Recipe by KLHquilts
Taken from "The Los Angeles Times California Cookbook" (1981).
Top Review by mooncobress
I bought an eggplant for my garden this year despite never having cooked eggplant before, and this recipe was my first attempt at cooking with eggplant. I omitted the tomato since my husband doesn't like them, but might put them on half of them for myself next time. My husband and I loved this recipe, and we will definitely use it again, either on it's own, or as a base to add a sauce to or layer with.
- 2 (1 lb) eggplants
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut eggplants into diagonal slices. Dredge in flour.
- Beat together egg, oil, salt, and pepper. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then in seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Place in a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray and cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap, top each slice of eggplant with a slice of tomato, and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer.