Recipe by Barb G.
This is a delicious chicken & dressing recipe. I have made it for YEARS. Great comfort food. My kids & husband love it. The recipe comes from an old Better Homes & Garden cook book.(copyright1953)Yes,it was that long ago that I first made it. I still have the cookbook.
Top Review by Chef 920429
Okay Barbara,this is good,the words out of my husband mouth were yum,yum,yum.That says it all. This recipe is comfort food. I have a couple grandsons that live near me,and I can't seem to fill them up,well this dish will do the job!!Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! Yum :0)
- 1 chicken, ready to cook
- 6 cups dry bread, cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Dip chicken into flour seasoned with salt& pepper to taste.
- Brown in hot oil.
- Combine bread cubes,salt,pepper,sage,onion,and butter,using 1/2 cup of soup.
- Arrange chicken in Dutch oven.
- Pile dressing in center.
- Make gravy of pan drippings, using 2 tablespoons Flour and enough water with remaining Soup to make 2 cups.
- Pour over Chicken.
- Cover closely.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.