1 hr 5 mins
If desired you could omit oven baking and completely fry the chicken pieces in oil, increase oil to 3 cups for this, fry turning occasionally for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. One 3-1/2 to 4-pound chicken cut up can be used instead of the chicken thighs or use all breasts, I prefer to use all the same so the chicken cooks at the same time. *NOTE* if you wanted to take this chicken to a whole new level then brine in Kittencal's Buttermilk Poultry Brine (For Chicken or Turkey) for 24 hours, rinse the chicken thoroughly and completely under cold water, then continue with the recipe as stated, if you are using skin on chicken breasts I would highly recommend using the brine ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth (use only low-sodium!)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (can use milk but half and half cream is better)
- 1In a shallow bowl beat 1/2 cup milk with 1 egg.
- 2In a shallow bowl mix together flour, garlic salt, paprika, black pepper and poultry seasoning until well combined.
- 3Dip one piece of chicken into the flour mixture, then dip into the egg/milk mixture.
- 4Coat once again generously into the flour mixture (RESERVE any remaining flour mixture) place the chicken onto a plate/s.
- 5Repeat with remaining chicken pieces using the same method.
- 6In a large heavy skillet heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil (can use more or less but no less than 1/4 cup oil) over medium-high heat.
- 7Add in the flour-coated chicken into hot oil and brown on both sides, turning frequently until cooked (about 5-6 minutes per side).
- 8Using large tongs remove the chicken to a foil-lined greased baking sheet.
- 9Set oven to 400 degrees.
- 10Bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- 11Meanwhile while the chicken is baking discard all but 2 tablespoons of the frying oil (leave the 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet) heat over low heat then add in 2 tablespoons of the RESERVED flour mixture; cook about 2 minutes whisking constantly.
- 12Whisk in in the chicken stock scraping any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet.
- 13Stir in half and half cream; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking vigorously and constantly until thickened and very smooth.
- 14Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- 15Season with black pepper to taste and salt if desired.
- 16Serve immediately with the baked chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Fried Chicken With Creamy Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1017.3
- Calories from Fat 618
- Total Fat 68.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 244.3 mg
- Sodium 217.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 44.6 g