Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
If desired you could omit oven baking and completely fry the chicken pieces in oil, increase oil to 3 cups for this, fry turning occasionally for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. One 3-1/2 to 4-pound chicken cut up can be used instead of the chicken thighs or use all breasts, I prefer to use all the same so the chicken cooks at the same time. *NOTE* if you wanted to take this chicken to a whole new level then brine in Kittencal's Buttermilk Poultry Brine (For Chicken or Turkey) for 24 hours, rinse the chicken thoroughly and completely under cold water, then continue with the recipe as stated, if you are using skin on chicken breasts I would highly recommend using the brine ;-)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth (use only low-sodium!)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (can use milk but half and half cream is better)
- In a shallow bowl beat 1/2 cup milk with 1 egg.
- In a shallow bowl mix together flour, garlic salt, paprika, black pepper and poultry seasoning until well combined.
- Dip one piece of chicken into the flour mixture, then dip into the egg/milk mixture.
- Coat once again generously into the flour mixture (RESERVE any remaining flour mixture) place the chicken onto a plate/s.
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces using the same method.
- In a large heavy skillet heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil (can use more or less but no less than 1/4 cup oil) over medium-high heat.
- Add in the flour-coated chicken into hot oil and brown on both sides, turning frequently until cooked (about 5-6 minutes per side).
- Using large tongs remove the chicken to a foil-lined greased baking sheet.
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile while the chicken is baking discard all but 2 tablespoons of the frying oil (leave the 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet) heat over low heat then add in 2 tablespoons of the RESERVED flour mixture; cook about 2 minutes whisking constantly.
- Whisk in in the chicken stock scraping any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in half and half cream; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking vigorously and constantly until thickened and very smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper to taste and salt if desired.
- Serve immediately with the baked chicken.
This was very very good! I loved it that I wasn't standing over the stove all night trying to get the chicken done. The oven does the rest of the work! I loved the way it turned out. I had a whole chicken instead of thighs and the flour coating was just enough plus enough leftover for the gravy which was excellent! I also used all milk in this recipe and it was fine. Great recipe, it is a keeper!