24 hrs 35 mins
This wonderful recipe is courtesy of Paula Deen, but I have tweaked it slightly buy I adding in some extra spices to the flour mixture, use kosher salt only for this --- this recipe makes a lot so make certain that you have a large rack that will fit onto a large baking sheet --- plan ahead the chicken will need to marinate overnight, cooking time is oven time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole chickens (3 pounds each cut into 8 pieces)
- 6 cups buttermilk (can use a little less)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (use only kosher salt NOT table salt!)
- 3 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying) or vegetable shortening (for frying)
- 1Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl; pour the buttermilk over and toss with hands to coat.
- 2Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3In a large bowl combine the flour with kosher salt and black pepper.
- 4Remove the chicken out of the buttermilk and coat each piece thoroughly with the flour mixture.
- 5Place the coated chicken on a large platter (make certain to have all of your chicken coated before frying).
- 6Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed stockpot to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 360 degrees F.
- 7Working in batches carefully place several pieces of chicken into the oil and fry about 3 minutes on each side until the coating is a light golden brown (it will continue to brown in the oven) do not crowd the pieces while frying.
- 8Remove the chicken from the oil and place each piece on a metal baking rack on a sheet pan.
- 9Allow the oil to return to 360 degrees F before frying the next batch.
- 10When all the chicken is fried bake at 350 degrees F (set oven rack to lowest position) for about 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Fried Chicken (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (736 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1216.7
- Calories from Fat 658
- Total Fat 73.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 334.8 mg
- Sodium 1724.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 88.9 g