Recipe by Sudie
I don't remember where I got this recipe! It is delicious comfort food and I usually make it for company. So far, it's gotten nothing but raves! I also usually double this recipe for guests.
Top Review by lazyme
Yum! I had one humongous chicken breast so that was the only piece that I made. The directions didn't say where to coat the chicken with the flour, so I did that after it soaked in the milk. This was really good. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Loved the gravy with the mushrooms and scallions over mashed potatoes too. Thanks Sudie for a great keeper. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the chicken in the milk for at least 1/2 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butter on baking dish large enough to hold all the chicken (I use a jelly-roll pan), and place in the oven.
- When the oven is hot and the butter is melted, add the chicken pieces, skin side down.
- Bake for 20 minutes; turn skin side up, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Put chicken on platter and keep warm.
- Take 3 tbsp.
- of drippings from pan, and saute scallions and mushrooms over medium heat.
- You want the mushrooms to exude liquid, but you don't want the scallions to brown.
- Mix two tsp.
- flour with one cup of milk, and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add milk mixture to sauteed veggies, and cook over medium heat until gravy thickens.
- You can add more milk if it gets too thick.
- I save the flour from coating the chicken and the milk from soaking the chicken to make the gravy.