Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A brilliant, healthier alternative to fried chicken and French fries without losing irresistible flavour and crunch.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 ounces melba toast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the French fries
- 1 lb potato, cut into 1/4in strips and soaked in cold water and ice for 30 minutes
- cooking spray
- Set the oven to 400°F In a small bowl whisk the egg, egg white and Dijon mustard until smooth.
- Place the Melba toast, thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and blitz to create textured breadcrumbs (leave some pieces about the size of currants).
- Dip a chicken breast in the egg mixture, coating it thoroughly and then dredge in the breadcrumbs, patting and turning frequently until well coated.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet and bake for three minutes, and then lightly spray the top of each chicken breast with oil.
- Bake for five minutes more then turn. Spray lightly with the oil again and bake for a further six minutes. This recipe works well with any piece of chicken (with or without the bone). Use skinless legs, thighs or breasts.
- Meanwhile, remove the potato strips from the iced water and pat dry.
- Put potatoes and salt in a plastic bag or lidded box and spray with oil for about three seconds. Shake, to coat the potatoes well with oil and salt.
- Lay the potatoes on a baking tray, ensuring they do not touch each other, and spray lightly with the oil. Bake for about seven minutes, turn, bake for a further seven minutes and turn again and bake for another five minutes until golden and cooked. Serve immediately.