1 hr 30 mins
A brilliant, healthier alternative to fried chicken and French fries without losing irresistible flavour and crunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 ounces melba toast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the French fries
- 1 lb potato, cut into 1/4in strips and soaked in cold water and ice for 30 minutes
- cooking spray
- 1Set the oven to 400°F In a small bowl whisk the egg, egg white and Dijon mustard until smooth.
- 2Place the Melba toast, thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and blitz to create textured breadcrumbs (leave some pieces about the size of currants).
- 3Dip a chicken breast in the egg mixture, coating it thoroughly and then dredge in the breadcrumbs, patting and turning frequently until well coated.
- 4Place the chicken on a baking sheet and bake for three minutes, and then lightly spray the top of each chicken breast with oil.
- 5Bake for five minutes more then turn. Spray lightly with the oil again and bake for a further six minutes. This recipe works well with any piece of chicken (with or without the bone). Use skinless legs, thighs or breasts.
- 6Meanwhile, remove the potato strips from the iced water and pat dry.
- 7Put potatoes and salt in a plastic bag or lidded box and spray with oil for about three seconds. Shake, to coat the potatoes well with oil and salt.
- 8Lay the potatoes on a baking tray, ensuring they do not touch each other, and spray lightly with the oil. Bake for about seven minutes, turn, bake for a further seven minutes and turn again and bake for another five minutes until golden and cooked. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Chicken and French Fries
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 121.3 mg
- Sodium 596.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 36.5 g