Recipe by Chef Mom 5
These can be frozen and baked later. Or you can bake them and after they cool, wrap each chimichanga separately in waxed paper and freeze.
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 3 cups cheese, shredded
- 3 cups salsa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 40 flour tortillas, 8 inch size
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken until tender; shred.
- Drain beans in colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Combine salsa and spices.
- Mix chicken, beans and salsa mixture in large bowl.
- Heat 10 tortillas in microwave until soft and pliable.
- Put one tortilla on a plate, put ¼ cup of the chicken/bean mixture on tortilla, about an inch from one edge. Roll one turn, fold edges in, and keep rolling to the other side. Place in 9x13 pan.
- 10 chimichangas fit in a 9x13 pan.
- Brush tops with oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, cheese, green onions, sour cream and salsa.
- Pans of chimichangas can be frozen before baking. Do not brush with oil until ready to bake.
- Alternately, you can bake all the chiimichangas (brush with oil first.) Let them cool, then wrap each one separately in waxed paper, put 10 or so in a gallon zip lock bag and freeze. These make great lunches! Microwave for approximately one minute.