Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
These can be frozen and baked later. Or you can bake them and after they cool, wrap each chimichanga separately in waxed paper and freeze.
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 3 cups cheese, shredded
- 3 cups salsa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 40 flour tortillas, 8 inch size
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook chicken until tender; shred.
- Drain beans in colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Combine salsa and spices.
- Mix chicken, beans and salsa mixture in large bowl.
- Heat 10 tortillas in microwave until soft and pliable.
- Put one tortilla on a plate, put ¼ cup of the chicken/bean mixture on tortilla, about an inch from one edge. Roll one turn, fold edges in, and keep rolling to the other side. Place in 9x13 pan.
- 10 chimichangas fit in a 9x13 pan.
- Brush tops with oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, cheese, green onions, sour cream and salsa.
- Pans of chimichangas can be frozen before baking. Do not brush with oil until ready to bake.
- Alternately, you can bake all the chiimichangas (brush with oil first.) Let them cool, then wrap each one separately in waxed paper, put 10 or so in a gallon zip lock bag and freeze. These make great lunches! Microwave for approximately one minute.
Fantastic recipe! Black bean chimichangas are the best. Can't wait to whip up your version of this masterfeast!
Thanks for sharing.
Quick easy meal. Just made three and still have leftovers as they are very filling.