1 hr 15 mins
Satisfies your craving for the full-fat stuff. These guys never disappoint! From "The Best of America's Test Kitchen." Posted for safe-keeping. Prep time includes 1 hour marinating time. What you can do ahead of time: The chicken can be marinated in the buttermilk mixture and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. The dry ingredients can be combined in a zip-lock bag. When ready to cook the chicken, toss the crumb mixture with the oil, coat the chicken, and bake. Note: Prep time includes 1 hour marinating chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 (10 ounce) bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves (10 to 12 oz each)
- 1 slice high-quality sandwich bread, torn into quarters
- 2 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Whisk the buttermilk, mustard, 2 t salt, 1 t of the garlic powder, 1 t black pepper and the hot sauce together in a bowl. Remove skin from chicken, add the chicken, turn to coat well, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, place a wire rack on top, and coat the rack with vegetable oil spray.
- 3Pulse the bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 8 pulses.
- 4Gently toss the cornflakes, breadcrumbs, remaining 1/2 t garlic powder, 1/2 t black pepper, 1/4 t salt, poultry seasoning, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish until well combined. Drizzle the oil over the crumbs and toss until well coated.
- 5Working with one piece at a time, remove the chicken from the marinade and dredge in the crumb mixture, firmly pressing the crumbs onto all sides of the chicken.
- 6Place the chicken on the prepared wire rack, leaving 1/2 inch of space between each piece. Bake until the chicken is deep golden brown and the thickest part registers 160 degrees on an instant-read-thermometer, 35-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Fried Chicken (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.1
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 185.3 mg
- Sodium 382.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 62.7 g