Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is another Barefoot Contessa dish. If you have the time let the chicken soak over night in the buttermilk.
- 2 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut in 8 serving pieces
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Take the chicken out of the buttermilk and coat each piece thoroughly with the flour mixture. Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed stockpot to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 360°F on a thermometer.
- Working in batches, carefully place several pieces of chicken in the oil and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until the coating is a light golden brown (it will continue to brown in the oven). Don't crowd the pieces. Remove the chicken from the oil and place each piece on a metal baking rack set on a sheet pan. Allow the oil to return to 360°F before frying the next batch. When all the chicken is fried, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve hot.
This was ok liked the idea of not standing and cooking chicken at dinner time. But next time will cook chicken till almost done, than put it in oven for 10 min. It was more like baked than fried. thanks, for posting..a great idea.