Recipe by Feingold Mom
Love this recipe! A family favorite and perfect for the lunch box.
Top Review by D. Duckie
This was good! I used panko breadcrumbs and a mix of white and yellow cornmeal. We felt it needed something more though. Next time I will definitely use more chili powder and paprika as well as look to add something else - maybe some ginger or cinnamon for some extra oomph.
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 whole young roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before: Mix buttermilk with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Marinate chicken in the buttermilk mixture overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day: Combine the bread crumbs, flour, cornmeal, chili powder, paprika, and remaining salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and roll in the breadcrumb mixture. If it’s very wet, place chicken on a cooling rack set over a cookie sheet and allow to dry in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours. (See Note, below.)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken directly on a cookie sheet and bake 30 to 45 minutes, to an internal temperature of 165 degrees (check a few pieces with an instant-read thermometer).