Recipe by lik2fish
Oven Fried Chicken
Top Review by PanNan
I found an almost identical Cook's Illustrated recipe and made it with bone in chicken thighs and legs. I also used olive oil to mix in the crushed Melba toast instead of veg oil, and used 2 tsp dried thyme and no oregano. Because it was bone in dark meat, I cooked it about 40 minutes. It was absolutely the best crispy oven fried chicken I've ever had. The Melba toast crumbs stayed on the chicken and the flavor was wonderful. The fat drained down onto the foil and cleanup was a breeze - just toss the foil! This will be repeated often. I'm glad you posted this winner.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 ounces melba toast, processed to sand and pebble texture
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line sheet pan with foil and set large flat wire rack over sheet pan.
- Drizzle vegetable oil over Melba toast crumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate; toss well to coat.
- Mix eggs, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne with a fork in a second shallow dish or pie plate.
- Working one piece at a time, coat chicken on both sides with egg mixture.
- Set chicken in Melba crumbs, sprinkle crumbs over chicken, and press to coat.
- Turn chicken over and repeat on other side.
- Gently shake off excess and place on rack.
- Bake until chicken is deep nutty brown and juices run clear, about 30 minutes.