Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love catfish and this does hit the spot.
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (6 ounce) catfish fillets (1/2 inch thick) or 2 (6 ounce) other white fish fillets (such as orange roughy)
- 1⁄3 cup regular mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place breadcrumbs and melted butter in separate shallow dishes.
- Cut each fish fillet crosswise in half.
- Season fish with salt and pepper.
- Dip fish into butter, then into breadcrumbs, coating completely; place fish on baking sheet.
- Bake fish until crisp, brown and just cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir mayonnaise, relish, dill and capers in small bowl to blend.
- Season tartar sauce with salt and pepper.
- Transfer fish to plates.
- Serve fish with tartar sauce.
- Recipe can be doubled.
This was the first time that I've ever prepared catfish and it turned out great! I used panko instead of regular bread crumbs and baked them for about 15 minutes. They were cooked perfectly. The tarter sauce was good as well but I think I strayed to far from your recipe to rate it. I didn't realize I was out of relish until I had already started making it so I chopped up some pickles and added a Tbs of sugar. Then added some of the caper juice and dill until it tasted good to me. :) But thank you for the idea. I will be making this again.
Excellent! I used an egg instead of the butter to cut the fat even more. The combination of sweet relish and dill made the tartar sauce very tasty.