Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Adapted from Cooking Light. We love fried catfish but since deep frying isn't a healthy way to cook (and I hate doing it anyway), I have been looking for an oven-cooked alternative. Here is one that we liked. Serving size--1 fillet; 296 calories, 8.8 g fat, 17.7 g carb, 1.1 g fiber, 99 mg cholesterol. Marinate time is 30 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup light beer
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce
- 4 farm-raised catfish fillets (each fillet should weigh 6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a heavy duty zip-lock bag; seal, shake around to coat the fillets, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Take the fillets out of the bag; pat dry with paper towels and discard the marinade.
- In a shallow dish such as a pie plate, combine the cornmeal, cornstarch, and salt/pepper.
- Dredge the fillets in the cornmeal mixture.
- Lightly coat the fillets with cooking spray.
- Put the fillets on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 450° oven for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.