1/1 Photo of Oven Fried Buttermilk Chicken - Low Fat, but Tasty!
This chicken is a great alternative to the heart attack on a plate fried chicken without sacrificing the texture and flavor of a good home made 'fried' chicken. I've been tweaking this recipe for some time and I have it just where we like it. My hublet loves this recipe, as do I.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups Crispix cereal
- 2 1/4 cups bagel chips (or melba toast)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 chicken pieces (about 6 ounces each, bone-in, skinless )
- Pam cooking spray
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set a rack on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray the rack generously with cooking spray.
- 2Finely grind the cereal and toasts together in a food processor. Transfer crumbs to a large gallon size plastic bag. Add the oil, salt, cayenne, paprika, and ground pepper and toss to mix thoroughly.
- 3Whisk the buttermilk and Dijon mustard together in a medium shallow bowl. Add chicken to buttermilk/Dijon and turn to coat all the pieces evenly. Drop the chicken into the plastic bag, seal and shake until each piece is evenly coated.
- 4Place coated pieces on the prepared rack. Spray the chicken pieces evenly with cooking spray, and bake until the coating crisps and browns, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
- 6Cook's note: I like to cook the chicken on the bone for a real moist and juicy chicken experience. If you can't find bone-in skinless chicken, simply pull off the skin before coating. Chicken breast halves can be quite large. To get a healthy 6 ounce portion, cut the breast pieces crosswise with a heavy knife into pieces about the same size as a chicken thigh.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Fried Buttermilk Chicken - Low Fat, but Tasty!
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 47.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 641.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: