Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve with coleslaw, hot biscuits and honey, if desired.
- 1 fresh chicken
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml flour
- 7.39 ml poultry seasoning (optional)
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml seasoning salt
- 59.14 ml margarine or 59.14 ml butter
- PREP: Heat oven to 425F.
- CLEAN: Wash hands.
- Place buttermilk in shallow dish.
- On waxed paper or plate, mix flour, poultry seasoning, paprika and salt.
- Dip chicken in buttermilk to coat completely.
- Dredge in flour mixture to cover completely.
- Place on clean sheet of waxed paper.
- In foil-lined 15 x l0-inch baking pan, melt margarine in oven 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Place chicken skin side down in pan.
- CLEAN: Wash hands.
- Notes: CHILL: Refrigerate leftovers immediately.
- Chicken may also be deep-fried.
- COOK: Bake chicken at 425F for 30 minutes.
- Carefully turn chicken over.
- Bake 30 minutes more or until internal juices of chicken run clear.
- (Or insert instant-read meat thermometer in thickest part ot chicken).
- (Temperature should read 170°F for white meat, 180°F for dark meat).
Wonderful dinner. I used recipe #124413 for my buttermilk and let the chicken pieces steep for about 4 hours. I quartered a 2K (4lb+) chicken so I had 2 marylands (drumstick and thigh) and 2 breasts with wings attached. I gave them a coat in the flour mix (using flour, paprika, freshly ground salt and pepper) about an hour before cooking and then while butter was melting I gave them a second coat in the flour and continued as per recipe and the result was a crispy skinned and moist chicken. Served with cheesy scalloped potatoes and steamed vegetable. Thank you RecipeNut, made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #26 - March 2009.
I was in the mood for good comfort food and this recipe fit the bill. My thighs came out crispy on the outside and moist and tender inside. Thanks for sharing this nice keeper. Made for What's on the Menu tag.
I used chicken thighs and let them soak in buttermilk and then i used bread crumbs , and backed it in the oven for 2 hours on 300 degrees, and it was so good it fell off the bone, cooked it in the butter milk , deff. make again had with veg, and home made fries.