Recipe by CURLEYBERLEY
This is a recipe which can be prepared the night before. The cider syrup is a nice change from maple.
- 1 lb loaf French bread, cut into 1/2 " cubes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups apple cider or 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare syrup: microwave 2 cups apple cider or juice, 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, 2 Tbs. plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1 teaspoons cinnamon for 3 minutes; stir. Microwave an additional 4 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in 2 Tbs. butter until melted.
- Place half the bread cubes in a prepared 13 X 9" casserole. Arrange cream cheese and raisins over bread cubes. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with milk, melted 6 Tbs. butter and 1/4 cup cider syrup until combined. Pour egg mixture over layers. Using a spatula, lightly press down to moisten.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered in 325 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and edges are golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle 1 cup cider syrup over top and serve with any remaining syrup.